Re: Interested in becoming the maintainer for txt2man

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Shaddy Baddah wrote:

> I'm interested in submitting and maintaining Marc Vertes txt2man package
> (http://mvertes.free.fr/). This package is also available in debian
> (http://packages.debian.org/stable/text/txt2man).
>
> It is a pretty small package, and I understand if it is considered to
> small for a stand-alone package, however there is no harm in proposing
> right (at least it worked on one occasion that I tried it ;-) ).

I don't think we have a lower size limit on packages...

> The txt2man setup.hint would look like this:
>
> category: Text Doc
> requires: bash gawk cygwin
> sdesc:    "Txt2man converts flat ASCII text to man page format"
> ldesc:    "Txt2man converts flat ASCII text to man page format. It is a
> shell script using gnu awk, that should run on any Unix like system.
> "

I'd remove the final newline from ldesc, and change sdesc to something
like "A script for converting flat ASCII text to man page format", since
setup will prepend "txt2man: " to the sdesc.

Also, FWIW, help2man, which performs a similar function, is in Devel only.

> Can I just pass one comment? The Cygwin Package Contributor's Guide
> (http://cygwin.com/setup.html) is great. However, one area it does not
> address, and I am aware that is because in general it is a un-documented
> area, is how to test a package you have created. That is, to install a
> stand-alone package, away from pointing Cygwin Setup at the mirrors.
> Actually, I am assuming it is undocumented. Pointers are off course
> welcome.

I thought pointers were supposed to set you *on* course... :-)

One easy way to do this is to install a web server (apache, in my case),
create a /var/www/cygwin directory with the right structure, and then just
add "http://localhost/cygwin/"; to the mirror list (of course, you can do
the same with inetutils and ftp).  For the correct structure, see
<http://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-server.html>.
HTH,
	Igor
--