Re: Interested in becoming the maintainer for txt2man

Hi,

On 12/31/2005 10:02 PM, Igor Peshansky wrote:
I'd remove the final newline from ldesc, and change sdesc to something
like "A script for converting flat ASCII text to man page format", since
setup will prepend "txt2man: " to the sdesc.

Also, FWIW, help2man, which performs a similar function, is in Devel only.

Cheers for that. Is it a "no no" to take a copy of Debian's equivalent descriptions, and and adapt them... as candidates of course.

I thought pointers were supposed to set you *on* course... :-)

Of course ;-)

One easy way to do this is to install a web server (apache, in my case),
create a /var/www/cygwin directory with the right structure, and then just
add "http://localhost/cygwin/"; to the mirror list (of course, you can do
the same with inetutils and ftp).  For the correct structure, see
<http://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-server.html>.
HTH,

It does thanks.

On 1/1/2006 12:03 AM, Brian Dessent wrote: > Please do not start the sdesc with the name of the package. It will > display as "txt2man: Txt2man converts flat ASCII text to man page > format" in setup which is redundant. It should read something like > "txt2man: A tool to convert flat ASCII text to man page format".

Thanks for the suggestion. Debian has it's short description as "Converts flat ASCII text to man page format". If adapting Debian package descriptions are OK, then my new proposed setup.hint would be:

category: Text Doc
requires: bash gawk cygwin
sdesc: "Converts flat ASCII text to man page format"
ldesc: "It is a shell script using gnu awk, that should run on any Unix-like
system. The syntax of the ASCII text is very straightforward and looks
very much like the output of the man(1) program.
"

On 1/1/2006 12:14 AM, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Brian Dessent wrote:
>
>> Create your own mirror directory structure and then point setup to it,
>> either using a webserver or just using the "Install from local
>> directory" option.
>
> And to create the setup.ini at the top of your directory structure from
> the various setup.hints, you can use
> <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2005-09/msg00142.html>.

That's the missing link there, so thanks for that.

Regards,
Shaddy