Re: [maybe-ITP] gamin

I hereby forward the answer of the friend of mine, that is not
subscribed here.
I also add that probably http://tinyurl.com/c27fn or the cited "change
journals" is the way to go.

=================

Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@...> writes:

> >>This really works on cygwin?

It seems so, why stat'ing files shouldn't work on cygwin?

> >AFAIK it doesn't.  (Otherwise I would have included it in Cygwin Ports a
> >while ago, or even the distro, as gnome-vfs2 can use it.)  It does
> >compile easily, as do the python bindings, but while the server
> >launches, the test suite fails horribly, seemingly because it can't pick
> >up any FS changes.

Indeed the tests run fine here.

> >At this point Gamin is fairly tied to Linux, portability is not a
> >primary goal at this stage but if you have portability patches they are
> >welcome.

This is very true, out of the box gamin compiles only with Linux (and the latest
release doesn't work with polling), but with a bunch of patches it works on
FreeBSD and cygwin, too.

> >[1] http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/overview.html
> Windows has some capabilities for this sort of thing.  Does someone want
> to research what gamin is using on linux and present it to the cygwin
> list?  Maybe Corinna or I can implement something based on that.

On Linux it can use the old dnotify interface and the new Inotify. On FreeBSD it
uses the kqueue backend. The backend is kernel specific, I don't think it's very
useful to know what is used on other OSes, but what Windows kernel can do to
notify the gam_server events like "FileCreated", "FileModified", "FileDeleted",
"FileExecuted", etc. In any case the general polling backend seems to work
already. If you like to implement a windows kernel backed, well, that would be
great.

--
Alex Dupre