Re: [maybe-ITP] gamin

Lapo Luchini wrote:
I needed this patch in order to have it working on FAT32 disks, but
both on FAT and NTFS the test results seem quite consistent to me: all
is good on NTFS and all-but-test-9 on FAT.

I'd rather not outright #ifndef __CYGWIN__ these if there's a better solution.

I don't know if there's a way to determine if the drive is FAT or NTFS, but AFAICS there is a way to determine if Windows is NT or not (and presume that NT is running on NTFS and not FAT, which should be the norm), for example:

http://cygnome2.sourceforge.net/install/release/nautilus/nautilus-2.4.2-cygwin.patch

Although this raises an interesting question: Linux can also use FAT disks, so what happens then??

Test 9 checks if a directory mtime gets modified when you write a file
in it and I guess FAT just doesn't work that way.

Possibly, but I only have NTFS drives at my disposal.

What did you mean exactly with "vary each time"?

Sometimes C test 4 failed and sometimes not; some of the python tests would fail but either different ones or in different ways.

Reading that file, me and Alex have a doubt: is it normal that only 2
out of 3 times defined(__FreeBSD__) is added in the FreeBSD patch set
you added a corresponding defined(__CYGWIN__)?
I don't quite get that part, so I guess that you did either the right
thing or did forget about the last case ;-)

Hmmm, probably missed that one. I'll try to take a look at this, as well as the FAT patch, tomorrow.

About possibly implementing an NT backend (using
http://tinyurl.com/c27fn probably), well, I guess it is feasible but
with 1300+ lines of code for all but the simplest backend (dnotify)
we're a bit scared about that, and moreover efficiency is not a really
big issue in our case.
"Not in the short time period", that's for sure.

You understand, of course, that this will be up to you to write. I would like to see these FreeBSD changes ported to 0.1.7, which should be easier than writing a new backend (?).

Yaakov