Re: [ITP] quilt-0.43 -- Tool to work with series of patches

Eric Blake <ebb9-PGZyUNKar/Q@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Correct concept, just a strange choice of template location compared to
> other cygwin packages.

Coming from Debian, not at all that strange :-)

>> I was under impression /etc is under user's control and scripts should
>> not overwrite files there. Is the /etc/defaults/* is meant to be used
>> differently? Like that you suggest using it for example files?
>
> Yes, /etc/defaults is under cygwin package control for that very use.  For
> example, coreutils now provides /etc/defaults/etc/DIR_COLORS, which used
> to be provided by base-files.  By sticking the prefix /etc/defaults in
> front of any user-editable template, it becomes easy to locate all
> templates in a single hierarchy, regardless of which package installed
> them.  This is easier than looking in /usr/share/doc/package/examples.

Thank you, that explains it.

>>>However, it seems like these scripts are probably provided from some
>>>generic build system (cygbuild?) and so if it's easier to do it the
>>>overly-complex way then go with that. Still, it seems a lot more
>>>error-prone.
>
> Have you ever considered proposing cygbuild as a cygwin package?

I have wanted to test it for large number of packages so that I could
squeeze out bugs as much as possible. I have plans to add support for
direct SVN, CVS checkout (to make rolling out snapshot releases easy).
The current infrastructure would also benefit if cygbuild were in the
Base (like Debian has dh_* devel scripts), so that e.g.
postinstall/pre* scripts could rely on calling function (to avoid
duplicates in scripts).

The best way to use it now and get timely fixed is via CVS:

  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/cygbuild co cygbuild
  cd cygbuild ; make install-cvs

The HTMLized man page is here if someone gets interested:

  http://cygbuild.sourceforge.net/doc/cygbuild.html

Jari