Re: setup.exe: feature request with patch

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> > >  Simply set up a local package server with one empty package, which
> > > is in Base and "requires:" all the packages you need installed.
> >
> > Had thought about that, but I didn't see how to specify two
> > repositories on the command line - and I didn't fancy having to run an
> > httpd to serve a few files when it seemed like a useful thing for
> > setup to do from the command line.
>
> It also would work for people without access to a web server, and

FWIW, another way of doing this is creating a full setup.ini entry for
that empty package, and then appending it to setup.ini whenever a new one
is downloaded.  This would also work without a web server.

> probably be easier for blind users (we've had a couple of requests).

The blind user problem was actually with the chooser screen, which doesn't
work with screen readers.  I think most of our blind users are capable of
editing a text file...

That said, I do like the patch, and with a bit of cleanup it would be a
useful addition to setup (again, IMO).

> I'd actually like a copy of your build, if you wouldn't mind emailing it
> to me off-list or posting a URL with testing instructions to the main
> list.
> Perhaps someone could even put it at
> http://cygwin.com/setup/snapshots/

When this patch (possibly cleaned up) gets applied, someone will.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"