Re: cygport: patches welcome?

On Jul 13 12:17, Dave Korn wrote:
> On 13 July 2007 12:11, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > I'm a bit reluctant to present a generic auto-merge.  Consider the
> > situation where a new version of a package adds a new configuration
> > setting.  An auto-merge would pull in the default setting for this
> > one, without the user knowing about this
>
>   You mean like, for instance, sshd introduces a new vital security-related
> config option such as PrivSep and if the user doesn't know to turn it off
> manually it gets enabled by default?  Sounds like a good thing to me ....!

There are other packages which just change their default behaviour
because the upstream author thinks it's a good idea, not because it has
any security impact.

> (Plus it's not any different from the situation where the user installs the
> package for the first time and doesn't bother to customize the config).

Not quite.  The situation we're talking about is one in which the user
*did* care and changed the config file to his or her own needs.  When a
new release just merges in changes without notifying the user about
this, it's not exactly nice.

>   I know the idea of automerge is scary.

Yes, indeed.  Think of complex files like /etc/profile or /etc/csh.cshrc.
How do you make sure that a merge didn't just work (patch returned
without error), but that the merge actually had a still working result?
I think merging is not feasible for all files in /etc.

>     I guess we should make sure there's
> a very very easy roll-back mechanism that we can point users at if something
> goes wrong and that would just restore their prior config exactly as it was
> before the merge.

If we really do merges, a merge should always generate a copy of the
original file and setup should notify the user.  The way Andrew
described it would still be a good thing, even if an auto-merge went
fine.

Red Hat