Re: [ITP] flip 1.19 -- Convert text file line endings between Unix and DOS formats

On 9/18/07, Eric Blake  wrote:

> According to Jari Aalto on 9/14/2007 5:57 AM:
> > * Fri 2007-09-14 Carlo Florendo <subscribermail-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w AT public.gmane.org>

> >> Wow! and I thought we had d2u and u2d :)
>
> Does debian provide d2u at all?  If all debian provides is flip, then that
> is a stronger argument for uploading flip.  I'm passing on uploading this
> until we get a little more consensus as to whether this is duplicate
> functionality, or whether it is providing more usability to users used to
> debian.
>
> - --
> Don't work too hard, make some time for fun as well!
>
> Eric Blake

My Debian Etch install provides a package called tofrodos which
includes the commands todos and fromdos which are symlinked to
unix2dos and dos2unix.  The abbreviated u2d and d2u are not present by
default.

It also provides the package flip that doesn't have any fancy
abbreviations or symlinks.

tofrodos
 DOS text files traditionally have CR/LF (carriage return/line feed) pairs
 as their new line delimiters while Unix text files traditionally have
 LFs (line feeds) to terminate each line.
 .
 Tofrodos comprises one program, "fromdos" alias "todos", which converts
 text files to and from these formats. Use "fromdos" to convert DOS
 text files to the Unix format, and "todos" to convert Unix text files
 to the DOS format.
 .
 This functionality is also available via the dos2unix/unix2dos symlinks.
 .
  Homepage: http://www.thefreecountry.com/tofrodos/index.shtml

flip
 This program converts line endings of text files between MS-DOS and
 **IX formats.  It detects binary files in a nearly foolproof way and
 leaves them alone unless you override this.  It will also leave files
 alone that are already in the right format and preserves file
 timestamps.  User interrupts are handled gracefully and no garbage or
 corrupted files left behind.  'flip' does not convert files to a
 different character set, and it can not handle Apple Macintosh
 line endings (CR only). For that (and more), you can use the 'recode'
 program (package 'recode').

Does d2u do anything special if a binary file is input or does it just
go through it and try to "fix" the line endings?

The do seem to duplicate functionality.  Both packages take up less than 100k.

-Jason