Re: cygwin-services-helper [was: Re: [ITA] inetutils-1.5-1]

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Feb 27 22:22, Charles Wilson wrote:
(2) rewrite ssh-host-config to use it
(4a) rewrite syslog-ng-config to use it

Don't get me wrong. I was not suggesting that you should do all these conversions. It would be nice to have one or two template scripts, like iu-config and syslog-config. Every other script is rather the job of the package maintainer, isn't it? Unless you plan to speed up the migration, of course.

Sort of. I really just wanted to be sure that csih provided all the necessary facilities -- and that they actually worked when used 'in the wild'. The best way to do that is to exercise the csih code from as many different contexts as possible, not just iu-config and syslogd-config.

However, I think the urgency of these other 'rewrites' is fairly low. I'll work on that in the background, because rght now, I think external users of iu-config/syslogd-config will provide me with all the bug reports on csih that I can handle, for a while. This is not to say that I think csih is chock-full-of-bugs -- it's not -- but I only have the one XP system to test on. Monocultures make me nervous...

I didn't mean to say that other packages shouldn't use this function
library.  I was merely saying that other scripts which don't have to
switch the user context don't have to be converted in the first place.
There's no pressure.

Right -- but they CAN use the other facilities in csih if they want to. See http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/syslogd-config

--
Chuck