Re: PING Jan Nieuwenhuizen re libguile17

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> I rebuilt gcc (4.1.1) with --enable-fully-dynamic-string*) and rebuilt
> guile
> (http://lilypond.org/cygwin/release/guile/libguile17/libguile17-1.8.2-3.tar.bz2)
> and today finally got round to testing it.  It does not seem to help.

Note that the Cygwin gcc is not using --enable-fully-dynamic-string, it
is using the patch in PR24196 which is a compromise between the
pessimization of assuming fully dynamic strings and the optimization of
assuming one global instance of _S_empty_rep_storage.

Also, I'm confused on another issue: if libguile exposes a C++ ABI then
mixing 4.1 and 3.4 should be incompatible anyway, regardless of PR24196,
by the fact that there are so many g++ changes between those major
versions.  However looking at the exports of the DLL I see no C++
symbols.  But if libguile does not expose a C++ ABI then why does the
PR24196-patched gcc cause it to work again?  Or is it that it uses C++
internally and that is where the std::string-across-DLL-boundaries
problem occurs?

Brian