RE: PING Jan Nieuwenhuizen re libguile17

Dave Korn writes:

>   The C ABI is meant to be the same between 3.x and 4.x, so since there's
> apparently no C++ involved, I don't think this is necessarily "simply an ABI
> incompatibility", I think it's a real regression.

I tested compiling libguile for Cygwin using gcc-4.0.0, gcc-4.0.4, and
gcc-4.2.3 but all have the same segfault in autogen.

>   Jan, please just to clarify: did you build the actual release version of
> libguile with gcc4?

Yes, plain 1.8.2.

>   I don't recommend using gcc 4 series for production releases yet.

I know, but for all my packages it seemed to work for years now...

>   Is there some specific problem in building lilypond that is resolved by
> using gcc 4?

I'm investigating this.  It's quite tricky, currently LilyPond itself
does not compile using gcc-4.2.3, but we do have success reports with
4.3.0.

>   I *am* willing to do maintenance releases of the 3.4 compiler
> if there are important bugs to fix, doubly so if it's needed to support a
> package in the official distro.

What is the best gcc 3.4 to use for Cygwin?  Unpacking Cygwin's gcc/g++
source archive in a python script is a bit of a pain (that's an
understatement :-).

>   (I'm also working in the background on an
> experimental gcc 4 package).

That would be nice.
Jan.

--