Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Apr  3 12:59, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 06:26:46PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> >> "auto" in /etc/fstab doesn't mean "automount".  It means that it is
> >> meant to be "auto"matically mounted at "boot time".  That's fine for /, /bin, /usr/bin.
> >> It isn't fine for z: where z: is a usb device.
> >
> >Uh, that's something I didn't look for.  I just used the word "auto"
> >because it sounded nice at this point.  Actually the third field
> >is ignored.  The important part is the "cygdrive" in the first field,
> >which is along the lines of, say, "proc" or "sysfs" in Linux.  We
> >don't have a reason (so far) to care for the FS type field in fstab.
>
> But if we were doing this the "right way" then I think we probably
> should have a procfs and something else which allowed the automatic
> mounting of devices like floppies or usb disks.

I see.  I did the evaluation of a mount point being something automatic
by using a string in the first field, but actually we should use
specific strings in the FS type field and either ignore the content of
the first field - for FS types like "cygdrive", "proc" (later) "root",
"sysfs" (much later) - or the first field is the device which gets mounted
in the second dir if the mount point is "auto".  Sort of a better cygdrive.
I'll change the fstab stuff to do the FS type recognition for cygdrive
and root.  We can then add the "auto" and "proc" stuff easily at some
later point.

Red Hat