Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Apr 12 05:45, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > When I start setup-1.7, it seems to find the already existing c:/cygwin
> > installation.  Even though I choose "C:/cygwin-2" as installation path,
> > the new setup-2.ini content is compared against the already existing
> > installation.  The result is that setup-1.7 offers to install only
> > the single changed package:  cygwin itself.
>
> Right, it reads /etc/setup/installed.db (where /etc is derived from the
> mount table) to see what the current versions are.
>
> > Why is setup using the information from the existing installation
> > even if I choose to install into another directory?  Is it because
> > the mount points in the registry are looked at?  That's not correct
> > anymore, given that the registry mount points are not used for the
> > new installation anyway.
> >
> > Is it possible to change setup so that it ignores the registry mount
> > points?  And it must nort write new ones either, btw...
>
> Oh.  Teaching it not to read or write to the mount table in the registry
> is going to be a lot more work than just telling it to read a different
> .ini file.  I'll see what I can do, but until then I think we'll just
> have to tell people to do the switching manually (mount -m/umount -A).

Thank you.

I also found, when setup doesn't have the mount points it doesn't seem
to be able to take the /etc/setup/installed.db from the path entered as
root directory.  It installs happily all base packages again a second
time.

Probably we will still need *some* registry entry.  Setup could create
one for its own purpose, just to find the installation path.  Maybe the
registry value should use a version number, so that we can have two
parallel installation again, should we ever release a -3 distro...

Red Hat