Re: [HEADSUP] Let's start a Cygwin 1.7 release area

On Apr 12 23:43, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 05:13:33PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >I've now created a release-2 area.  I used a somewhat intermediary
> >approach.  The dirs are real dirs, the tar.bz2 files are symlinks
> >to the release area, the setup.hint and md5.sum files are copies.
> >The cygwin subdir only contains 1.7.0-1 packages.
> >
> >Chris, could you please set up another upset which creates the
> >corresponding setup-2.{bz2,ini} files?
>
> I have another way to do this using a union fs.  Using a union fs means
> that we can have a cygwin-2 directory which mirrors the old cygwin
> directory, gaining the benefits of hardlinking, but also allowing
> removals in the new directory without affecting the old cygwin
> directory.
> [...]
> The only downside to this is that the mirrors will apparently be copying
> all of the data twice.

That's what I was trying to avoid.  In the long run you will have
two separate areas but the load of the mirroring is stretched out
over time.  Probably I'm just still living in modem times...

> all of the data twice.  So, we could remove all of the obsolete files
> and older revisions from this new release directory to minimize the
> extra copying.

That might help a lot.  If every package dir only contains the latest
versions you would have less than half the size.  The only problem
would be that you have to grep the setup.hint files and remove
potential version information.

Red Hat