Re: Problem installing setup-1.7

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Apr 27 15:09, Charles Wilson wrote:
Then when you run setup-1.7.exe you don't /have/ any mounts in the registry -- so all you'll get in /etc/fstab are the basic default mounts. [*] Later, when setup-1.7.exe is updated -- so that we don't have to remove all the 1.5 mount info from the registry before running setup-1.7.exe -- it'll work better on that initial install, but only for system mounts -> /etc/fstab.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. The postinstall script
is supposed to create the mount points according to the user's 1.5
based system registry mount table.

Right. And once cygwin-1.7 is released, and *regular* users use setup.exe to upgrade an existing installation of cygwin-1.5 to cygwin-1.7, that will work fine.

This is for a replacement of a
1.5 with a 1.7 installation, as it's supposed to be at one point.

Exactly.

The problem is that this doesn't allow a parallel installation for
now, even if setup-1.7 is working as advertised.

That's what I was trying to say.

I should add code
to the script which replaces all $OLD_CYGWINROOT path components with
$NEW_CYGWINROOT on the fly to support that.

That would be useful, during the transition.

It doesn't attemp to replicate user mounts (for all users? current
user? some selected group of 'cygwin' users? Yech!) into
/etc/fstab.d/. That's ok, IMO, but when we release 1.7, end-users
need to know about that  update quirk.

/etc/fstab.d/$USER is created and old 1.5 registry user mount points are
copied to /etc/fstab.d/$USER on the fly when the user starts the shell
the first time.  That's done by the new /etc/profile.d/user-fstab.c?sh
scripts in base-cygwin.

"it" == 000-cygwin-post-install.sh. I didn't know there were /other/ components of base-cygwin that /would/ handle that part.

--
Chuck