Re: tar and lzma

Charles Wilson wrote:
I'd *almost* go so far as to suggest that the cygwin lzma package be modified to use the lzma-util source, like most of the other unix distros do. However, the basic core routines from lzma-util in the most recent stable release are still based on LZMA SDK 4.43, rather than the current LZMA SDK 4.57.

Sorry, got my numbers wrong.

LZMA-SDK: current 4.57
note: there do not appear to be any *significant* algorithmic changes in the LZMA_Alone code, from 4.32 thru 4.57 (which is what the lzma application uses). The changes seem to be portability, 7z-format related, and maybe a few buffer overrun/security fixes.

lzma-utils: current 4.32.5 based on LZMA-SDK 4.32

cygiwn's existing package: LZMA-SDK 4.43

It still might be a good idea for cygwin to switch to lzma-utils (stable). I think most of the actual bug fixes from LZMA-SDK between 4.32 and 4.57 made it into lzma-utils between 4.32.0 and 4.32.5.

Plus we get all those other goodies. I wouldn't bother with the library, though: it is decode only, and the interface will be changing drastically in 5.0 once 4.999 goes out of alpha/beta.

--
Chuck