setup.exe build procedure

I just tried to (re)build setup.exe from CVS HEAD, and something very...BAD...happened.

When I type 'make' I assume that the project will be BUILT.

NOT installed into my existing /usr/local/ tree without ANY indication that '$ make' will do so. If I *wanted* to do that, I'd say '$ make install'. This change is contrary to ALL practice for any other open source project I've ever heard of. If the reasons for it was this:

2008-06-24 Christopher Faylor

        * Makefile.am: Make and install libraries into
          common location and use them from there.

Then *surely* the "common location" should be $builddir/<tempinst>/[lib|include] and NOT /usr/local/[lib|include], right?

The problem with the current behavior, not withstanding the unexpectedness of it all, is that now I have -mno-cygwin versions of libgcrypt and libgpg-error and friends in /usr/local/*, which the gcc compiler will search by default even in -mcygwin mode. Since I *don't* have those cygwin libraries in /usr/lib, I expect my cygwin-style configures to NOT find them, and NOT try to link against them. But now, they do -- but the lib is the mingw version.

--
Chuck