Re: base-[files|password] for 1.7

----- Original Message -----
From: "Corinna Vinschen" <>
To: <cygwin-apps@cygwin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: base-[files|password] for 1.7

| On Jul 29 10:35, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
| > From: "Corinna Vinschen"
| > | I thought it's a good idea to have the domain by default.  It's a bit
| > | strange that a machine is running in a domain but as soon as another
| > | user logs in, the passwd and possibly group information for this user
| > | is missing.
| >
| > Well yes, I don't recall what the complaints were about.
| > Perhaps long delays.
| > But it caused problems to NEW cygwin users installing for the first
| > time and without visibility or knowledge into what's happening.
|
| That would have required a decision when to call mkpasswd -d in the
| postinstall script.  I don't recall that we ever did that.

I don't recall the specifics but it would have been a lot easier to use
-d rather than to create a -c . There must have been a good reason.

| > |  I don't think it makes
| > | sense to run mkgroup in a domain environment without fetching all
| > | domain groups.
| >
| > Agreed, but it's done under user control.
|
| Just so that the group file doesn't get too big?

No, so that the user can ctrl-c if it takes forever.

| > | Not for -c, but in the default case it will take some time until it
| > | times out and won't print the domain groups.  Since that's only an
| > | actual issue at installation time, where's the problem?
| >
| > Not sure what the old complaints were about...
| > Do you expect the user and primary group to be put in passwd/group in that case?
|
| I'm not sure I understand the question.  If we run mkpasswd/mkgroup
| without arguments, you get local accounts on a non-domain machine
| and domain accounts on a domain member machine.  Doesn't that make
| the most sense?

It does make the most sense if all goes well and quickly.
But if the server is not connected the passwd/group entries for the domain
user installing cygwin for the first time may not be created.

Pierre