Re: [ITA] X.Org X11R7.4

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 05:41:00PM -0600, Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:

> [...]
>come a long way since then.  While there were several delays, both
>personal and technical in nature, now I think we are (finally!) ready to
>proceed.
>

>WHAT'S NEW IN X11R7.4?
>
>1) Each component (program, library, set of headers, set of fonts, etc.)
>is shipped upstream in its own package, for a total of ~185 source
>packages.  Sources are autotoolized, but the old imake system is still
>available separately for external packages still using it.
>
>2) /usr/X11R6 is gone; the standard /usr prefix is now used.
>
>3) Fonts have been moved to /usr/share/fonts.
>
>4) libX11 is XCB-based.  This adds a dependency on xcb-proto and libxcb,
>which I propose to add now as well.
>
>5) A number of X extensions (DMX, FontCache, LBX, XF86BigFont, Xinerama,
>Xprint, XTrap, and the font server) have been deprecated upstream and in
>most cases completely removed from the xserver; their corresponding
>libraries and programs will therefore not be included.
>
>6) OpenGL support is built from the upstream Mesa package, which I have
>also split into individual library packages.
>

>EXISTING X11 PACKAGES:
>
>The current xorg-x11-* packages will be replaced by empty transitional
>packages, and should now be considered OBSOLETE and standing in my name.
>
>I will also take the X-start-menu-icons and X-startup-scripts packages,
>which will be updated to reflect the new locations.
>
>I would also ask the consent of the current maintainers of a few
>X-related packages to take over these as well:
>
>fontconfig (Jan Nieuwenhuizen)
>lesstif (Brian Ford)
>xterm (Jari Aalto)
>

>TRANSITION PLAN:
>
>1) Once approved, I will upload the new packages under release/X.Org/
>for easier management; I request that this directory not be used for
>other packages.
>
>2) Empty xorg-x11-* transition packages will be uploaded, and these will
>depend on the appropriate replacements ONLY as necessary, without
>defeating the purpose of *modular* X11.

>3) Existing packages which depend on X11 will have their dependencies
>adjusted, with a notice here for maintainers to correct their local
>copies accordingly.
>
>4) An announcement will be made on cygwin-xfree-announce@ with all the
>details.
>
>5) X-dependent package maintainers should check their packages against
>the new libraries, and rebuild if their package depends on an obsolete
>library or if currently installed into /usr/X11R6.
>
>6) Further development will continue on cygwin-xfree@.
>

>WHAT I NEED:
>
>1) PLEASE, don't even *think* about asking me to ITP all ~185 sources
>individually. :-)
>
>2) Approval of the addition of "_source" as a setup.hint package
>category. This is used for library packages which are split up into
>libfooN and libfoo-devel, with nothing to go in the "main" libfoo package.

This is what the external-source: tag is for.  Can't you just use that?

>3) cgf: I would like to coordinate a timeframe with you to do the move
>into release/ and dependency-adjustment, so that we can handle any upset
>errors by IRC rather than the list.

Don't you have upset available to you already?  I thought you or someone
was maintaining a fork.  There is also genini which might be adequate
for this purpose.

>4) Write permissions for the Cygwin/X website, and moderator permissions
>for cygwin-xfree-announce@ list.  (I already have upload permissions on
>sourceware.)

You already have write permissions to the Cygwin/X web site.  It's
controlled via CVS -- just like the main cygwin site.  Check out
ext:sourceware.org:/cvs/cygwin/htdocs .

Thanks very much for doing this.