Re: cygport-0.9.3 in release-2

Charles Wilson wrote:
> They were called "rollup" patches. T.E.D. releases patches roughly every
> week, and then every month (or two, or three), he combines all patches
> dating back to an official release into a "rollup" patch -- and these
> "rollup" patches are in the shar-archive-auto-apply format.  You can see
> an example in the current cygwin ncurses-5.5 package (yes, two years
> old. I know...)  T.E.D. also provides the patches to update a 5.x tree
> to 5.x+1 in that form:
>
> ftp://invisible-island.net/ncurses/patches/

Looking at 5.5-3, all those patches can be in PATCH_URI instead.

> Yes, that will do.
>
> If one really needs to pass arguments -- which I (usually) don't --
> there are a number of workarounds:
>   1. export MY_FUNC_ARGS=("a b" c "d e"); cygport foo.cygport my_func
>      where my_func() processes MY_FUNC_ARGS[@] (which in this
>      case has three elements, "a b", c, and "d e").
>   2. You could do something similar with response files
>   3. Reduce granularity and then have a few specific functions.
>      For instance, rather than:
>        cygport cvs.cygport custom1-run_test N
>      where N is any number from 1 to 300, instead do
>        cygport cvs.cygport run_test_group1
>        cygport cvs.cygport run_test_group2
>        cygport cvs.cygport run_test_group3
>        cygport cvs.cygport run_test_group4
>      where each group comprises 75 or so tests.
> I'd probably lean to #1. If it ever came up.

I was thinking #3, but the other methods would work as well.

> In any event, all of those workarounds can be implemented solely inside
> a specific .cygport file, without any additional (or intrusive, or
> ugly-as-sin) changes to /usr/bin/cygport.

Exactly.

> The custom- stuff is a marvelous (ab)use of bash, though, ain't it?

Definitely abuse. :-)

> That leaves only:
>   cvs topdir support
>   postinst hook support

cvs topdir: this has little benefit and would break ABI.

postinst hook: RESTRICT="postinst-doc" was supposed to be a workaround.
 How was this not sufficient?

> [*] relocatable. I've ported those changes to 0.4.2, but...they are
> really, just, wow.  Awesomely ugly. I've decided to drop them entirely,
> for the following reasons: [snip]

Couldn't have said it better.

Yaakov