Re: [HEADSUP] Maintainers, please switch to Cygwin 1.7

On Feb 11 12:08, Warren Young wrote:
>>> This one: http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-01/msg00648.html
>>
>> Well, that's not such a big issue, is it?  As long as upgrading works
>> fine...
>
> <shrug>  It may be enough that the problem and the solution is now
> documented on the list.
>
> Maybe in addition, if/when setup-1.7.exe is linked from the Cygwin home
> page in beta form, you warn there of this: if you install 1.7 fresh on a
> system, subsequently installing 1.5 on it will be somewhat difficult.  I
> can't imagine there *not* being a transition period, where this sort of
> thing will happen at least a few times.

Well, as I mentioned in the original thread, there will be only one
setup.exe and it will not allow to install Cygwin 1.5 on NT based
Windows systems.  Setup will switch to the 1.5 repository if the OS its
running on is Windows 95/98/Me, otherwise it will choose the 1.7
repository.  So there will be no downgrade option.

I guess that will be the first 1.7 related FAQ entry :)

Red Hat