Re: Question: Desired owner/group when running setup-1.7.exe

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:07, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> I'm also more inclined to the 3rd option, although I've not taken that
>> decision easily, because user foo would not see his/her files as foo's
>> but as Admins's (actually root). But seems to be the more "compatible"
>> solution. The least harm law...
>
> WHy do you think that? ÂSetup.exe has nothing to do with the Cygwin DLL
> as far as file ownership is concerned. ÂThe files installed from the
> distro will be owned by Administrators, the files created within Cygwin will
> be owned by the user itself.

I know that setup.exe is independent of cygwin.dll but - now I'm
confused - are you saying that ONLY files installed by setup.exe will
follow this new ownership rule, but subsequent executions / copying /
file creations, etc, *inside* Cygwin environments will still use
Admin:None or whatever for ownership?
Are you saying that the proposed changes will be only at the
*packaging* level, forced to have owner uid to that of Admins?
In that case, how will you enforce ownership on pos-instalation scripts?
That doesn't make much sense... and it's not even coherent behavior.
And surely will break things in the long run.

>> And I would add another rule: If the installing user is not Admin, but
>> the primary group is 'Domain Users', change gid to 'Users', so that an
>> instalation don't be inaccessible for local users.
>
> I don't think that's necessary. ÂEither you're an admin and you want to
> install for everyone, or you are a user just installing for yourself.
> There's no other option and no need for another option.

Yes, you're right. Fair enough. Never mind my (not so) bright idea :)

--
Julio Costa