Re: Question: Desired owner/group when running setup-1.7.exe

On Apr 20 13:03, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but this is getting too complicated.  I thought I'm asking a
> > simple question.  I was just trying to help this along so that the least
> > number of people have trouble with the default file permissions.
>
> You're right. Sorry for muddying the waters; that wasn't my intention.

No worries.

> > Here's another simple approach:
> >
> >   Keep all ownership as it is.  Just add an ACE for the administrators
> >   group with rw- access rights to the ACL of files created/unpacked by
> >   setup.
>
> Yep, I think that would address most people's concerns.

I just re-thought the problem and came to a different idea.  The whole
problem seems tyo boil down to other administrators not bein able to
manipulate Cygwin files in, say, /bin or /usr.  But that's not really
a problem since all Admin users have the right to manipulate all files,
same as the "root" user on POSIX systems.  There's actually no reason
to add an ACE for administrators.

However, given that all users are in the group "None", using this
group for the default group ownership for files is rather insecure.
On a POSIX system the files in the system directories are owned by
a group which only sys admins are member of.  In our case, that would
be most closely resembled by the Admins group.

So, actually I'm now rather leaning towards solution two.

Sorry for the to and fro :}

Red Hat