RE: Save and restore setup.exe window geometry attempt #2

Christopher Faylor wrote on Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:42 PM:

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 01:11:11PM -0400, Jonathon Merz wrote:

>>> Boy this is tedious.
>>>
>>> No, it is not the same.  We're talking about the default behavior.
>>> The default should be maximized.  If that makes someone's eyes bleed
>>> then they can change it for the future.
>>
>> I think I have a better understanding now.  I may wish I'd started
>> this discussion before I started submitting patches, but better late
>> than
>> never I hope.
>>
>> As I understand things now:
>> - The chooser screen, but not the rest of setup, should maximized any
>> time it is run and finds no saved geometry, in particular, the first
>> time setup is run
>>
>> - When setup is run with a saved geometry, the saved geometry should
>> be used.
>>

>> If those are correct, the questions I see now are:
>> 1. Should the saved geometry be used for all screens in setup, or
>> only
>> for the chooser?
>
> When I was struggling with this, I thought it might be a good idea to
> make other windows bigger too but, since I don't recall anyone ever
> complaining that other windows which accepted input were too small,
> then I think it is probably acceptable to just apply the geometry to
> the chooser.
>
> But, that's just my opinion.  My only criteria is that the initial
> screen for first-time users should be maximized so that they see
> everything rather than getting a partial view.  If someone wants to
> change the default for the future that's fine.
>
> cgf

Personally ...

(1) I would see a change of geometry when I arrive at the chooser to
be unexpected behavior.

(2) I would expect that people who chose a geometry other than
<maximized> or the default <normal> might resize/reposition immediately
upon launching setup if it opened in some other position.  To me,
that undoes the convenience of setup remembering geometry.

(3) And as long as I've taken up space in your inbox...  <OT class="by
now, since it seems whether this will go into setup has already been
decided">I really don't see a need for setup remembering geometry.
When updating, I find the current default adequate.  The only time I
maximize is when I'm choosing new packages or possibly a new mirror.
It is not clear to me why anyone doing one of those take so long that
they need to change geometry so they can work on other things at the
same time.  Focus people!  Multitasking may be efficient for computers,
but its not for humans.</OT>

Have a great weekend.

- Barry