Re: Suggestion for terminal package maintainers

On Jun  2 10:58, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 02:48:51PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Jun  1 17:03, Ken Brown wrote:
> >> The Cygwin console, after some changes made this past weekend, now uses
> >> ^? as the default erase character, and this is what is sent by the
> >> backspace key instead of ^H
> >> [...]
> >
> >What makes me a bit concerned about this change is that, while we can
> >change Cygwin's terminfo and termcap files, we can't do that for
> >existing non-Cygwin installations.  Is it really safe to change the BS
> >key to ^? now that the "cygwin" terminal type is known to return ^H for
> >so many years?
>
> Yes, many Cygwin programs will have CTRL-H hard-coded into them
> currently.
>
> However, I assume that every linux distribution had to go through something
> like this at some point.  The CTRL-H thing always ends up impacting me
> in strange ways.  I don't know yet if the ^? change will impact me in new
> exciting ways, though.

It probably will.  I know what you mean.  I'm under the impression to
jump through the ^H/^? hoop every other year.

> I just thought that since 1.7.x is supposed to be a major change this would
> be the time to move towards more compliance with linux.

Maybe it is, that's why I'm asking.  But, if we do that, shouldn't
Ctrl-Backspace return ^H as in xterm?  So far the Cygwin console
returned ^H without and ^? with Ctrl, now it returns ^? in both
variations.

Red Hat