Re: Cygwin 1.7 release (was Re: The library or libraries will be delivered[...])

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 08:23:11PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Jun  4 13:58, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>Chris, how would you and the other MinGW developers feel about moving
>>mingw and w32api somewhere else?
>>
>>There has been some talk about splitting apart the various components
>>of the "src" directory (gdb, binutils, cygwin, etc.) and it might be
>>time to separate cygwin and mingw/w32api more definitively.
>
>Personally I'd rather keep the w32api directory in the same repository
>as Cygwin.  It's much more convenient to have the latest CVS version
>always right where it's needed instead of having to update w32api on
>the build machine in some other spot.  Especially when making changes
>which are then used by Cygwin right away.
>
>Having said that, I can live with having w32api in another repository.
>I just doubt that I'd like it.

How you construct your sandbox doesn't necessarily have anything to do
with how the upstream repository is laid out.  The only real downside
(and there are ways around this) is that you couldn't do a "cvs update
-d" at the top level of "winsup" and have it update everything.

And, also, incidentally, the other thing that is being contemplated is
moving to a more modern SCM like subversion or git.