Re: std::arg() bug : not repetitive ?

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Dave Korn wrote:

> Brian Ford wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> >
> >> I have no clue if -march=pentium4 is acceptable for AMD cpu's.
> >
> > FWIW, we have been using -march=pentium4 -mfpmath=sse successfully in a
> > very large software project since November 2003 without incident.  We have
> > run on AMD Opterons and a variety of Intel processors without issue
> > (given that they were at least Pentium 4's, of course).
>
>   If we turn on SSE in the distro, we block anyone using Pentium2 or early
> (pre-XP) Athlon CPUs from using Cygwin.  I think that might be a step too far.

Just to be clear, I'm neutral with respect to this decision, and I wasn't
suggesting it should be done.  I only wanted to state that this
combination of optimization flags is stable, works on the proper subset of
AMD as well as Intel processors, and provides a real world performance
benefit when the processor compatibility compromise is deemed acceptable.

--
Brian Ford
Staff Realtime Software Engineer