Updated terminfo and termcap definitions [Was: Re: 1.7.1 release date? (termcap)]

[Moving to cygwin-apps; please reply there]

This is a heads-up concerning changes to terminfo/termcap defintions. As
discussed on cygwin-developers, here's a stab at providing /etc/termcap
via terminfo:

http://cygwin.cwilson.fastmail.fm/ITP/terminfo-5.7_20091114-10.dist

terminfo/setup.hint
terminfo/terminfo-5.7_20091114-10-src.tar.bz2
terminfo/terminfo-5.7_20091114-10.tar.bz2
terminfo/terminfo-extra/setup.hint
terminfo/terminfo-extra/terminfo-extra-5.7_20091114-10.tar.bz2
terminfo/termcap/setup.hint
terminfo/termcap/termcap-5.7_20091114-10.tar.bz2

Where the "new" termcap package contains only /etc/termcap, and its
setup.hint is:
category: Utils
requires:
external-source: terminfo
sdesc: "Old-style database for terminal handling"
ldesc: "This database provides the terminal descriptions necessary
for proper operation of obsolete programs that use termcap"

BTW, this release contains Andy's LONG-pending patch so that the
database reports that cygwin, cygwinDBG, screen, *and xterm* all use ^?
(\177) for backspace, rather than ^H.

Re: emacs -nw keypad, tpu-edt.el, and C-h

Suggestion for terminal package maintainers
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2009-06/msg00003.html

Backspace keycode patches for xterm and terminfo
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2009-10/msg00041.html

This is true for screen and cygwin-1.7 console, but not YET true for
xterm (patch still pending, I think).  So, my release announcement will
include this blurb:

  xterm has not yet been updated to use ^?; you should modify

        /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm

  and add the following two lines, until it is updated:

        *backarrowKeyIsErase: true
        *ptyInitialErase: true

If there are no objections after a few days, I'll upload and rearrange
the affected release-2 directories as appropriate.

--
Chuck