Re: [ITA] ocaml

On 11/02/2010 23:05, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
You may want to take a look at how I built OCaml for Cygwin Ports:

http://cygwin-ports.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cygwin-ports/ports/trunk/lang/ocaml/
http://cygwin-ports.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cygwin-ports/ports/trunk/devel/flexdll/

(Yes, that's for 3.11.1; 3.11.2 just came out[1] and I was working on
other things this week.)

I have updated both flexdll and ocaml to the latest releases.

The other issue to be determined is what should be (in cygport
terminology) OCAML_LIBDIR. By default, this is /usr/lib/ocaml, but some
distros version this in order to account for the API/ABI changes which
do periodically occur. (For instance, there was such a change between
3.09 and 3.10.0, which they then undid for 3.10.1. I suppose I got what
I deserved for using a .0 release.) Actually, Debian *used* to do this,
but today I see that they stopped, possibly because it would be quite
tedious to rebuild ALL ocaml packages for every OCaml point release. So
sticking with the default may make sense, with the understanding that
packages may have to periodically be rebuilt as time goes on.

I looked into this further, and based on other distros' OCaml packaging guidelines and advice I was given in #ocaml, we should expect to have to rebuild ocaml libraries/bindings with each ocaml release.

Yaakov