Re: default terminal

On May 31 19:30, Yaakov S wrote:
> On 2010-05-31 16:29, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >What do you all think about a two step plan of first making mintty part
> >of the default install and then making it the default terminal?
>
> In theory, it makes perfect sense, although I wonder if simply
> installing mintty by default might still be insufficient for people
> to realize that they can/should be using it.

What if Cygwin.bat just contains `start mintty.exe -' rather
than `bash --login -i'?

Advantages:

- Not much of a change in setup.

- Still allows to set environment variables before starting the first
  Cygwin process.

- Using the dash allows the user to use the Cygwin shotcut to start
  his/her login shell as noted in /etc/passwd without having to change
  /Cygwin.bat.

> Well, if you are trying to put across Cygwin as a *NIX platform,
> then it makes sense that its default tools provide the functionality
> one would expect from *NIX, and as far as a console goes, that means
> ptys.
>
> So as one who strongly opposes the ever-present Cygwin-is-Windows
> attitude, and a grateful mintty user, I am very much in favour of
> making mintty the default.

AOL.

Red Hat