Re: mintty/Windows interoperability

Does mintty currently work around any such problems?

I really don't understand the question in light of the observations that there will be problems with some MS-DOS applications if we switch to mintty because of cygwin's pty implementation.

I'm asking if mintty currently supports more MS-DOS apps than it did when it first came out a couple of years ago. If so, I assume it does so because it does more work to convince those apps that everything is as expected.

If so, current and future breakages could be handled by more workarounds. Ugly, sure, but right in line with the current guiding design principles behind Cygwin itself: stuff stays broken until someone cares enough about it to fix it. Meanwhile, we sit back and enjoy the remarkable behavior that has been provided so far.

Regardless, y'all have my vote to switch wholesale to mintty. I asked for it before, and I still want it. Replacing the cygwin.bat link with "mintty -" is the first thing I do after installing Cygwin on a new box; yes, even before $HOME is set up from /etc/skel. The last bug in mintty that bit me was a long time ago now, and I've been using it exclusively since shortly after it came out.