Re: ITP: python-setuptools 0.6.10-1 (Python 2.6)

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 13:35 +0300, Jari Aalto wrote:
> [This package is required in order to upgrade some python packages]

This is definitely worth getting in the distro, pending the issues
below.

>         http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/cygwin/python-setuptools/python-setuptools-0.6.10-1-src.tar.bz2 \
>         http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/cygwin/python-setuptools/python-setuptools-0.6.10-1.tar.bz2 \
>         http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/cygwin/python-setuptools/setup.hint

Could you package the latest 0.6.13?  The layout of the binary package
doesn't look right, but that may have to do with the older version.

I can't rebuild the package from source, nor am I interested in wading
through an entire script to figure out what's wrong.  Here is what I'm
using for Ports:

http://cygwin-ports.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cygwin-ports/ports/trunk/python/python-setuptools/

>     sdesc: "Python Library providing distutils enhancements"
>     ldesc: "A rewrite of the orignal setuptools project under library name
>     'Distribute'. This package is intended to replace original Setuptools
>     as the standard method for working with Python module distributions."
>     category: Libs Python
>     requires: python

I would use category: Devel Python; it's not a general-purpose library.
There is also a misspelling of 'original'.

> [*] The project name is "Distribute library". Being drop-in-replacement,
> it is packaged as "python-setuptools" in Debian.

Gentoo and Fedora do this as well, so this naming is correct.

Yaakov