Re: ITP: rtorret, libtorrent, libsigc++

On 2010/08/08 11:48 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 8/8/2010 12:59 PM, Steven Monai wrote:
>> Some notes about the packaging:

>> The setup.hints of the libtorrent subpackages are missing 'libtorrent'
>> from their 'requires:' lines.
>
> Well, yes, they are "missing" that requirement.  But that's because
> "libtorrent" is NOT a requirement for libtorrent11 nor libtorrent-devel.
>  It only provides some text documentation; why should those other
> packages "require" it?

Practically speaking, yes, it is true that the subpackages don't really
require the text docs provided by the libtorrent package to correctly
perform their function. However, the entire raison d'etre for the
libtorrent package seems to be to provide the text docs that upstream
intends to accompany the library.

So personally, I would make all of libtorrent's subpackages require
libtorrent, so that the upstream text docs (including the COPYING file,
which contains the GPL license notice) are always installed when any of
the subpackages are installed. It is ultimately the packager's decision
about how best to distribute the GPL notice with the software. In this
case, making the subpackages require the libtorrent package would be an
easy way to accomplish that, but it's certainly not the only way. It's
really up to Chris to decide.

>> The setup.hints of the libsigc++2.0 subpackages are missing
>> 'libsigc++2.0' from their 'requires:' lines.
>
> Again, the libsigc++2.0 package provides nothing but documentation. Why
> should those subpackages "require" it?

See above, s/libtorrent/libsigc++2.0/

-SM