Re: package conflict: cygwin and sunrpc

On 8/17/2010 8:55 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> Both cygwin-1.7.6-1 and sunrpc-4.0-3 install
> /usr/include/rpc/{types,xdr}.h.  Depending on which package is installed
> last, this causes spurious compilation failures, because the two
> implementations differ on whether they need sockaddr_in to be declared.
>  Now that xdr functions have been subsumed into cygwin proper, is it
> time to obsolete sunrpc?

Yes, especially as it is orphaned, completely out of date -- even the
upstream version has been replaced in "real" *nix distros by libtirpc or
derivatives thereof.

> On the other hand, libvirt wants to #include
> <rpc/rpc.h>, which only sunrpc provides; is it time to provide that
> header as part of base cygwin?

No.

What needs to happen is I need to get off my butt and ITP the following,
already ported, packages:

libtirpc-0.2.1-1
rpcbind-0.2.0-1
rpcgen-2.11.90_20100305-1

Together, these provide a complete replacement for the existing sunrpc
package, and are ported to work with cygwin's xdr implementation.

The only problem is, I haven't had a chance to test rpcbind (it
compiles, but I haven't set up the daemon, nor written a foo-config
script for it, nor written the detailed cygwin documentation that
daemon/services require).  There might also be some cygwin-specific
changes necessary, since even with cygrunsrv, the win32 service
environment != unix daemon environment. (e.g. user authentication,
changing uid/gid of remote procedure calls, etc...)

If I posted my current packages, could somebody help out with that?
Right now my hands are kinda full trying to get the sysroot libtool
stuff shepherded...

--
Chuck