Re: [ITA] - base-files base-passwd

On Sep 17 18:47, David Sastre wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 04:50:40PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > What's wrong with the proposed patch?  The only problem I have with it
> > is the fact that it uses tr and sed to find out what shell it's running
> > in.  There is probably a way to do this without starting more processes.
> > Like this:
> >
> >   read x < /proc/self/exename
> >   case "$x" in
> >     */bash)
> >     */dash|*/ash|*/sh)
> >     */ksh)
> >     */zsh)
> >     *
>
> Absolutely nothing is wrong with the patch.

Well, except that it calls tr and sed for a simple job which could be
handled entirely in the shell itself, but we had that already...

> I'm only thinking about
> an unified method for supplying skeletal files, regardless the
> shell. I mean, currently /etc/profile includes logic to deal with all kinds
> of shells; being mksh an example, a /etc/skel/.mkshrc could be supplied,
> to source a system-wide /etc/mkshrc provided by the mksh package,
> this is a simplified example taken from Debian:
>
> case $KSH_VERSION in
> *MIRBSD\ KSH*) ;;
> *) return 0 ;;
> esac
> [[ -s /etc/mkshrc ]] && . /etc/mkshrc
>
> This would be my solution to nÂ2 and nÂ3 above, i.e. PS1 is correctly
> set and inherited, because every shell that needs it, provides a
> system-wide *rc file to set PS1 and HOSTNAME, distributed with that
> shell's package.
> I think this is positive because it frees /etc/profile from a work
> that can be done by the shells on-demand. Base-files would only
> provide /etc/defaults/etc/skel/.${SHELL}rc files to source
> /etc/${SHELL}rc, installed by the packages, unneeded otherwise.

That sounds fine, but it requires that all other shell maintainers play
along.  I think it makes sense to provide a short term solution which
does not involve changing all shell packages.  The aforementioned solution
should be carefully discussed with all (bourne-like) shell maintainers
and released in a collective effort.

Who's affected?

  bash      Eric Blake
  dash      Eric Blake
  mksh      Chris Sutcliffe
  posh      Jari Aalto
  zsh       Peter A. Castro

  pdksh	    orphaned (I guess we should remove it from the distro)

> BTW, mksh is the only *ksh shell in the distro, being pdksh orphaned
> and unmaintained upstream.

Don't forget posh.  Oh, and, btw., whatever ksh derivative you use, it's
a ksh.  So, IMHO, the startup file for all of them should be /etc/kshrc
or /etc/ksh.kshrc.  This in turn speaks for keeping the startup files
centralized in base-files.  But that's just me.  I'm not affected
anyway, being a long-time tcsh user...

> Also, I am curious to know if there is a reason why
> /etc/defaults/etc/profile.d/lang.csh is not included in tcsh.

The tcsh package only contains files which are part of the upstream tcsh
package and we don't have a "default-lang" package, so it seemed quite
natural at the time.  There are other packages as well, like openssl,
which provide *.sh and *.csh profiles.

Red Hat