Re: 256x256 px icons

On Jul 26 06:54, Warren Young wrote:

> >This discussion reminds me of the new icon format in Vista, which
> >support icons of up to 256x256 bytes in PNG format.
>
> Pixels, not bytes, unless you were thinking about 8 bpp paletted images.

Right, pixels.

> I don't see -- in the almost nonexistent docs -- that windres
> actually supports PNG icons.  windres.exe isn't linked to
> cygpng*.dll on my system, so if it does support PNG icons, it must
> do so only by blindly copying the PNG data into the COFF file.

I think it does.  In the setup sources is a cygwin.ico file and
these two lines in the resource file:

  IDI_CYGWIN              ICON    DISCARDABLE     "cygwin.ico"
  CYGWIN.ICON             FILE    DISCARDABLE     "cygwin.ico"

That doesn't look like windres cares for the actual format of the file.

> >Is that something we should add, too?
>
> The only time I've found where I can tell that a program has a
> high-res icon is by looking at the blue info bar at the bottom of
> Explorer windows.  A little poking around suggests that at least
> 64x64 is useful with the default bar size.  You can resize it to
> make Explorer use a larger icon, if available, but I doubt many ever
> do that.
>
> For XP support, we still need to ship 32x32 and 48x48 pixel icons.

I just had a look into the cygwin.ico file using gimp, and it appears
that the file has three icons, 32x32, 64x64 and 72x72.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511280.aspx#size
says the default sizes are 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, and 256x256.

You say you already have created such icon files before.  Would you
have fun to create a new "official" cygwin.ico?

The only problem to look out for is licensing.  If you use foreign
art, you have to make sure that the icon is published under a free
license.

Red Hat