Re: 256x256 px icons

On Jul 29 08:11, Warren Young wrote:
> > On Jul 29 03:14, Warren Young wrote:
> >> Is there official vector logo art I can use?
> > I don't think so, sorry.
>
> Okay, here's my take:
>
>     http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/traced-icon.svg
>
> This should probably be archived somewhere on cygwin.com.  I won't
> guarantee hosting for it.
>
> >I'd prefer to go for a lone C in the <= 32x32 sizes.
>
> Here's a combined icon -- same 5 sizes as before -- based on the new
> vector logo, with the two parts individually stroked for contrast
> against both light and dark backgrounds:
>
>     http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/stroked.ico
>
> Here's a version with heavy chiseled bevels and shadows added:
>
>     http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/beveled.ico
>
> It only includes a 256 px version, since it's too much detail to
> work at small sizes.  You'd want to fill in the smaller sizes with a
> simpler style, like the stroked C or the plain Konsole.
>
> The bevel depth and style can of course be varied, as can the shadow
> angle, opacity, etc.  If you don't like it but can describe what
> you'd like better, I'll take a shot at creating it.

What I'd like to see is the stroked and beveled variants in 48x48 with a
light grey border of only 1 pixel, standalone, as well as in a terminal
frame.

> Here are some 3-D variants of the Cygwin logo, one inside the
> Konsole terminal frame for MinTTY, and one with the logo alone for
> broader purposes:
>
>     http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/mintty-icon/3d.ico

In 256x256 this looks excellent, but I don't think this would work
in 48x48.

>     http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/3d.ico
>
> Again, 256 px only, for detail reasons.

> Try this on:
>
>     http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/glowing.ico
>
> It's not bad, but I prefer the stroked variants.

Uh, uhm... no, that's not nice.  It looks kind of sick.

So far I like stroked and beveled, just the thick white frame is a bit
too much.  I don't know if and how that works, but the optimum would be
a light frame which is just light enough to set the icon apart from a
dark background, while it's not too light to be unpleasant on a light
background.  Is that possible at all?  I don't know.  Gimp is really
uncooperative to me.

Red Hat