Re: SETUP: default to mintty

On Aug  3 21:37, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 3 August 2011 15:43, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Ok, here's my final(?) patch to make setup install mintty as "Cygwin
> > Terminal" desktop and start menu entries. ÂApart from the cygwin.ico
> > file, there's now also a cygwin-terminal.ico file and a cygwin-setup.ico
> > file. ÂThe latter is used as the default application icon. ÂOnly the
> > first two are installed into / as Cygwin.ico and Cygwin-Terminal.ico.
> >
> > See below for the patch. ÂAttached are the new ico files for the setup
> > repository.
>
> The Cygwin-Terminal.ico isn't good enough IMNSHO, and I'm disappointed
> with how this has suddenly become the "official" proposal, riding
> roughshod over much of the previous discussions.

Huh?  Calm down.  Read again:  "final(?)", "If that's fine with
everybody".

It's not fine with you, so let's discuss further.  My intent was to
show how it looks like in the context of setup.exe.  The advantage
of the icon files is that they can be easily replaced.

> - Above you'd agreed that fatbuttlarry's bulgy icon was fine in the
> 16x16 version, and that was before making it bigger and turning its
> outline grey to lose that "eerie" look. Yet here we are with a murky
> flat effort that looks no better than ye olde Cygwin.ico. (This size
> is used for the window icon, so arguably this is the most important
> one.)

Well, it *is* the old Cygwin icon.  I said "fine with me", yes, but
every time I look at it, the old Cygwin icon still looks better in
16x16.  But still, if everybody else thinks the 16x16 must look
different, too, fine with me.

> - The terminal frame at the 32..64 sizes isn't as sharp as it could
> be, because it's copied from one of my attempts before I worked out
> how to render it like in the original Konsole icon.
>
> - The 256x256 version still has Warren's dark border around the
> terminal. Not only is this spoiling the KDE Oxygen team's work, but it
> also makes it pointlessly different from the smaller versions.
> Furthermore, the "C" still has rough corners due to the bottom line
> being too low, and its shadow makes little visual sense inside the
> terminal frame.
>
> - The Cygwin-symbol-in-terminal approach remains a dodgy compromise.
> It doesn't fit into 16x16, and as Warren pointed out, the removal of
> the prompt means that the terminal is hard to recognise as such. I
> can't remember a case for why this compromise is preferable over the
> Cygwin symbol on its own.

Boy, that sounds like we're having kind of a competition.  You didn't
say anything about Warrens efforts from
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2011-07/msg00166.html but instead just
sent your own take.  You didn't say anything about my miserable tries
but instead sent more of your own.  Now that I tried to make an effort
to move this forward, you're shredding the icons to pieces.  What is
that supposed to tell me?

> To avoid being entirely negative, here's my proposal: forget about
> Cygwin-terminal.ico and just use Cygwin.ico.

No, I don't think so.  I like the terminal icon and I even still like
it in 32x32 on the XP desktop.  It just looks nice.

> I like the setup.exe parcel idea, but this also needs improvements. In
> particular, the 16x16 version doesn't work, with the parcel just an
> ill-defined grey blob behind the C. Also, the shadow behind the C on
> the 256x256 makes even less visual sense here than in the terminal
> frame.

Almost nothing works in 16x16.  As long as one can see the C I'm not
overly concerned.  However, there's something wrong.  While the
desktop icon is the right setup icon, the 16x16 icon in the window title
and (on Vista) the big taskbar icon only shows the default cygwin icon.
That's strange.  I reordered the icons explicitly so that the setup icon
comes first.  Why does that work on the desktop but not in the window
titlebar and the taskbar?!?

Red Hat