Re: 256x256 px icons

Turns out, 256 is too big for the splash screen. Looking for a nice size, I found that 1064, the size of the rasterized original icon, dived by 7 is 152, which looks like the ideal size for the dialog icon. So I added a 152x152 icon to cygwin.ico, and made it the first icon in the set. Here's the result:

http://cygwin.de/cygwin-standalone-beveled.ico

Two examples:

Classic Windows style:    http://cygwin.de/splash-new-1.png
Windows 7 non-Aero style: http://cygwin.de/splash-new-2.png

Mostly delicious, Corinna.

The hard edges in the original art are causing stair-stepping when doing a direct downsample, though. (Look at the pointy bits.) By blurring the high-res version and then downsampling by a non-integral amount, you can get a much smoother result. Here's one at 128 px^2:

http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/128-smooth.png

If you're really set on 152 px^2, here's that, too:

http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/152-smooth.png

If you want yet a different size, the procedure is:

	- merge all layers (don't flatten; keep transparency)
	- Gaussian blur, 2 px
	- bilinear resize