Re: 256x256 px icons

On 16 August 2011 10:08, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 15 20:46, Andy Koppe wrote:
>> On 14 August 2011 12:12, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> > Your attempts at 16x16, 24x24, and 32x32 definitely look better than
>> > mine. ÂAlso, somehow I seem to have broken the terminal frame in 32x32.
>> > I didn't notice that before, but in direct comparison with your 32x32
>> > it's quite obvious.
>> >
>> > As for 48x48 and 64x64, it seems the thicker original stroke results in
>> > a washed-out looking stroke in the inner part of the C, just below the
>> > wedge. Can you get rid of that washed-out look?
>>
>> I see what you mean. I think it's because the scaled-down stroke is
>> less than a pixel wide in theory, but due to its position it ends up
>> being divided between two pixel lines, so you get a two-pixel darkish
>> grey instead of a one-pixel light grey. Fixing this would require
>> redrawing the C at the high resolution in such a way that it maps to
>> whole pixels when scaling down. I'm afraid that's beyond my pay grade
>> though. Warren, if you've got any more spare time to spend on this ...
>>
>> Meanwhile, attached is the same again but with the 48x48 from your
>> current icon, and a 64x64 scaled down from your 256x256, because I
>> didn't like the C in the current 64x64 being bigger in relation to the
>> terminal frame than at the other sizes. The stroke probably is a bit
>> too dark though ...
>
> I created a new 64x64 icon with smaller C. ÂOther than that I made
> a longish comparison of the small 16x16 and 24x24 icons on various
> backgrounds, and in contrast to what I said above, I think I prefer
> the slightly darker frames.

Fair enough. Compared to "mine" though it looks a bit rougher around
the edges when used in a mintty window frame with dark background. In
particular, some of the corner pixels stick out and the wedge has more
pronounced stepping. (See attached pic.)

I wonder whether this is due to resizing algorithm. Can you be
bothered to try different scaling algorithms, or send me the orignal
so I can have a go with Paint.net (which says it uses
"supersampling")?

Andy