Re: 256x256 px icons

> On Aug 16 13:28, Warren Young wrote:
>> The hippo model is free in the same way most fonts are free: I can't
>> legally give you copies of the mesh and textures, but I can produce
>> as many pixels as I'd like using it, and donate those pixels to an
>> open source software project.  See section 4 in the DAZ content
>> EULA:
>>
>> 	http://www.daz3d.com/sections/aboutus/eula/EULA_Content.pdf
>
> Hmm.  That's not exactly what I understand as free or open license.  The
> paragraph 4 doesn't sound good to me.  In fact, I removed all traces of
> the boxed hippo from my machines after reading that.

Well, it seems clear that the 3D mesh is not libre at all, nor gratis.
However, 2D images created FROM the 3D mesh appear themselves to be
gratis at the least, and maybe libre *enough*, since the paragraph
related to them is concerned solely with the ability to (re)extract the
3D mesh.  Otherwise, you're allowed to do whatever you want with the 2D
renders:

> You may (i) access, use, copy and modify the 3-D Models stored on
> such computers at such single location in the creation and
> presentation of animations and renderings which may require runtime
> access to the 3-D Model(s), and (ii) incorporate two dimensional
> images (including two dimensional images that simulate motion of
> three dimensional objects) derived from the 3-D Model(s) in other
> works and publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense
> such combined works; provided that you may not in any case: (a)
> separately publish, market, distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense
> any 3-D Model(s) or any part thereof; or (b) publish, market,
> distribute, transfer, sell or sublicense renderings, animations,
> software applications, data or any other product from which any
> original 3-D Model(s), or any part thereof, or any substantially
> similar version of the original 3-D Model(s) can be separately
> exported, extracted, or de-compiled into any re-distributable form or
> format. Subject to the foregoing limitations, and the rights, if any,
> of third parties in or to the objects represented by the 3-D
> Model(s), you may copy, distribute, and/or sell your animations and
> renderings derived from the 3-D Model(s). All other rights with
> respect to the 3-D Model(s) and their use are reserved to DAZ3D (and
> its licensors).

cardboard box: no issues.

>> The recycle icon on the box's front is like the hippo model: I can't
>> give you the vectors, but anyone with a dingbat font installed
>> probably has a direct substitute on hand.  I suppose it would be
>> legal to give out the raster texture I made from the vectors.
>
> Is there a chance to replace that?

Dunno about this. What are the licensing restrictions on the recycle
vectors -- are they also DAZ (and thus, 2D rasters are covered according
to the license snippet above), or some other source?  A raster is a
derived work, so would be subject to copyright issues unless
specifically allowed, like the DAZ license appears to do w.r.t. 2D renders.

> That's not really the same.  Copyright problems are something we should
> avoid like the devil avoids holy water.  This is lawyer's playfield and
> I have not enough training to play this game.  Therefore I rather not
> have any of the DAZ art as part of this project.

Well, we can always ask redhat-legal about Warren's 2D rendered art,
given the DAZ license... Obviously the 3D mesh is Not Free At All,
Precious, so we'd need to avoid THAT.  But Warren has all the rights and
privileges associated with his purchase, so...

>>> I really like the 3D box, but I think it would be better to have a 3D
>>> Cygwin C hopping out of the box.
>>
>> I can give that a try, too.
>
> That would be cool
>
>> But dang it, I *like* the angry hippo. >:)
>
> Yeah, but the potential price is too high.

Before tossing the whole idea, I'd rather get an expert opinion if one
is available.  To this layman, reading the snippet above, it sure seems
like Warren is correct: his 2D renders of #angryhippo are freely
redistributable, and because they can't feasibly be used to extract the
3D mesh, there's really no way TO violate the distribution terms above.
 Now, I'm not sure what license that allows US to slap on OUR derived
work...can we really do a CC-by-SA or GPLvN? I dunno...

I ask, because I'd consider adding some of the alternate designs to
cygicons.dll even if they are not ultimately chosen for setup.exe or the
"official" mintty-cygwin shortcut.  But only if they carry a free
(copyleft [GPL, CC-by-*, etc] or permissive [MIT, BSD, etc]) license.

--
Chuck