Re: setup.exe opening page graphic

On Aug 19 16:23, Warren Young wrote:
> >>On Aug 18 15:07, Warren Young wrote:
> >Cool!  Here's how it looks like in the setup dialog:
> >
> >   http://cygwin.de/cygwin-splash.png
>
> The faux motion blur should taper to match the logo's expansion.
> Going straight down as it does now is optically incorrect.  I will
> fix this on future treated stills.
> [...]
> >I have not the faintest idea how to include an animation in a standard
> >MFC dialog.  Does MFC grok animated gif's in icon files?
>
> setup.exe doesn't use MFC.  It's a straight-to-the-API program.  MFC
> is a Visual C++ Professional feature.

Oh, right.

> You don't want to use GIF.  It would more than double the current
> size of setup.exe, and it looks horrid besides:
>
> 	http://etr-usa.com/cygwin/logo/from-box/animation.gif

Gosh, that looks terrible.  Are GIFs always so low on colors?  And
are they always running in a (much too fast) loop?

> [...more on animations...]

I think this is getting too complicated.  I'd rather opt for the still
picture, that's something everyone can handle, even if barely.

> >Apart from that, I really like the still and I would be content with
> >it... except... the C jumping out of the box doesn't have this beveled
> >look, like all other icons have now :}
>
> I can bevel it, but I hope you aren't expecting the exact same look.
> The 3D render is made in a photo-realistic studio environment, which
> is going to give a much different result than Photoshop's highly
> idealized 2D bevel filter.
>
> Do you want me to try to match the look, or were you just hoping to
> see highlights and bent studio light reflections so that the
> animation suggests the logo has the same shape as in the 2D art?

The latter.  Please keep in mind that I can't imagine how much work
that is, so if I'm asking too much, just say so.

IMHO, a beveled C just so that it resembles the 2D art, and the surface
a bit less polished, kind of semi-glossy, would be fine.  Does that
sound ok?

Btw., I asked our legal dept about licensing implications due to using
derived art from the DAZ models.  I'll keep you informed when I get a
reply, but that can take a while.

Red Hat