Re: ITP libunistring 0.9.3-1

Op 7-10-2011 3:29, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) schreef:
On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 22:52 +0200, Erwin Waterlander wrote:
I propose package 'libunistring' for cygwin.
I presume you have another package in mind which will use this?

Yes, I'm going to use it in my own package wcd.

http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/libunistring/libunistring-0.9.3-1.tar.bz2
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/libunistring/libunistring-0.9.3-1-src.tar.bz2
There are several packaging issues:

1) Libraries should be packaged in separate runtime and development
packages, so that nothing will break whenever the library ABI changes.

OK. I overlooked that. I started with dos2unix's cygport file as an example. I'm still learning.

2) Your .cygport file uses internal functions. This is not supported.

I see functions used also on other cyport files. I looked at libiconv's cygport file.

3) You have skipped the cygautoreconf step. As mentioned in the cygport documentation, this is strongly discouraged, particularly where libtool is involved.

Therefore the .cygport should look like:

DESCRIPTION="Unicode string library"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.gnu.org/s/libunistring/";
SRC_URI="mirror://gnu/libunistring/${P}.tar.gz"

PKG_NAMES="libunistring0 libunistring-devel libunistring-doc"
libunistring0_CONTENTS="usr/bin/cygunistring-0.dll"
libunistring_devel_CONTENTS="usr/include/ usr/lib/"
libunistring_doc_CONTENTS="usr/share/doc/ usr/share/info/"

That's it.

Thanks.

4) I see this is one of Bruno's packages. He has some unconventional views about the PE format, and Cygwin in particular. I would suggest the attached patch.

category: Libs
requires: libgcc1
sdesc: "Library for manipulating Unicode strings."
ldesc: "This library provides functions for manipulating Unicode
strings and for manipulating C strings according to the Unicode standard."
You will need separate .hint files for each subpackage, adding the
external-source tag.  You also need to add a libiconv2 dependency to the
runtime package and libiconv to the devel package.

Thanks. And the source patch should be in a separate file isn't it (not included in the cygwin patch).

I create a new package with your improvements.

best regards,

--
Erwin Waterlander