Re: ATTENTION: Tcl/Tk transition

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 06:26:34PM -0700, Cary R. wrote:
>FYI expect is what drew me to Tcl/Tk a very long time ago.
>
>Trust that I understand the need to be using a more modern version of
>Tcl/Tk.  I'm just whining that we're going to loose the GDI support.
>Since I'm not going to do anything to help the situation thisis the
>last I'll post on the subject.
>
>I did some quick testing and yes the new X server is much better.  All
>my prejudices came from Cygwin 1.5 days on a slower laptop.  The
>combination of a newer laptop and Cygwin 1.7/newer X server makes a
>significant difference.
>
>The benefit I get from using VirtualBox for development?  is that with
>Cygwinour test suite takes 818 second andwith Linuxinside VirtualBox it
>takes 45 seconds.  As you can see itdoesn'ttake too many test cycles to
>result in a significanttimesavings and yes this is the same version of
>the codeon the same machine with all the other processes idle.  For me
>the resource cost of Virtual Box is 1G of memory and a 30-45 second
>startup/shutdown times.  Depending on what I'm doing and how long I'm
>going to be doing it this is acceptable given the smaller testing
>times.
>
>Don't construe any of this as a slam on Cygwin.  I still think it is a
>great setup!

I don't construe it as a slam.  I construe it as continuing down the
"off-topic for this mailing list" road.  You've hijacked what should be
a rebuild and packaging discussion with YA astonished observation that
"Cygwin is slow".  Moreover, as far as I can tell you are not even a
package maintainer.

If you have more to say then use the Cygwin mailing list.