Re: [ITP] astrometry.net-0.38-1

On Oct 30 23:10, Jussi Kantola wrote:
> Bump.  The package has the 5 votes required for inclusion of a "new"
> package, still missing the GTG.  If someone knows the package is not
> GTG, can I please get directions about what's wrong.  The project that
> sort of needs astrometry.net in the Cygwin repos is close to its first
> publicized release (in fact, we're just waiting for the package
> approval); check it out at http://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/
>
> Meanwhile,
>
> wget \
> http://rubor.org/astrometrytortilla/astrometry.net/astrometry.net-0.38-1.tar.bz2
> \
> http://rubor.org/astrometrytortilla/astrometry.net/astrometry.net-0.38-1-src.tar.bz2
> \
> http://rubor.org/astrometrytortilla/astrometry.net/setup.hint

I hoped that somebody who voted on the package would do the final
GTG, but in vain it seems.

Anyway, I just had a look.  The packaging now looks basically good.  One
issue I still have with the package is the big number of non-standard
binaries in /usr/bin.

Is it really necessary to have all the binaries as user-accessible
binaries in /usr/bin?  Or are many of the binaries just called from
another (or other) binaries which serve as the primary UI?  What also
bugs me are the generic names of the binaries.  Plotstuff, merge-index,
tablist, tabsort, checktree, ...  This all sounds not much like
astronomer stuff.
So, I would prefer to split the binaries into two groups:

- UI binary (or binaries) into /usr/bin

- Helper binaries into /usr/share/astrometry/bin

There's also still the issue with usr/lib/astrometry/libbackend.so.
If that's really a shared lib, it should be called cygbackend.dll
and should reside in /usr/bin.  If the binaries are using it, they
should also be linked against it, rather than being linked statically.

Red Hat