Re: ATTENTION: Tcl/Tk transition

On 12/4/2011 10:03 PM, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
On Sun, 2011-12-04 at 21:05 -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
I found this while building (msys) versions of tcl and tk, (loosely)
based on your cygports.  However...I modified tk's configure.in to do a
"proper" AC_INIT.  So now, tk defines PACKAGE_NAME as "tk" -- but
inherits tclConfig's setting of "tcl" (and etc.).

Fix that...and then you see the warning.

It is win/configure.in which doesn't AC_INIT properly, not unix/configure.in.

D'oh! You're right.

Try building my tcl-tk and you won't see any such
warnings, and PACKAGE_NAME is "tk".  So it would seem that your "fix" is
incorrect.

But...I'm going to have to figure out WHY you don't see the warnings. How can configure.in/config.status/Makefile-$(DEFS) set PACKAGE_NAME to tk, yet *also* include the DEFS settings sifted from tclConfig.sh which sets PACKAGE_NAME to tcl, and /not/ trigger the a macro redefinition warning? (Don't answer; it just strikes me as odd -- something funny is going on in the unix/ side and I probably ought to figure out what.)

Aside: the win/ side of things is /severely/ bitrotted with regards to mingw and cygwin -- I think they only care for MSVC now -- so it's just as well your new cygwin implementations are strictly unix/-only. On the MSYS side I'm trying to hybridize: tcl=unix, tk=winGDI but with "proper" unixy path handing (which means translations when calling into, and of return values from, w32api functions). It's...slow going. And I wonder -- when I get that far -- whether the additional add-ons (itcl, itk, tix) will be workable at all, with tcl-ish headers under unix/ and tk-ish headers under win/; the TEA tcl.m4 seems to have provisions for such a separation...but will it work? TBD. msys-tcl seems ok so far but msys-tcl-tk: it's an unholy mess, really. :-(

--
Chuck