Re: [Patch] Rebase: new switch --ephemeral

Reini Urban writes:
> Did you see my perl-5.14 changes in EUMM for something like that?
> http://code.google.com/p/cygwin-
rurban/source/browse/trunk/release/perl/pl-CYG07-
cygwin_vendorarchautorebase-2.patch?spec=svn125&r=125

I've not looked into that particular detail, thanks for pointing it out.
Not all modules are built with MakeMaker, however, so I've been hoping
that cygport could take care of that instead of pushing the issue
upstream.

> With 5.14 I check if the DLL already exists in the database and if the
size
> is not bigger I just use the old imagebase for the new and temp. DLL.
> This will catch the previous errors in make test, with the dll in
blib/arch
> After installation the DLL will just reuse the old imagebase.

One of the things that I don't understand: Perl has a number of DLL with
the same name in different modules (I think Bzip.dll is one of them).
How do they _not_ conflict?

> With changed size however I go the old perlrebase approach, which is
> what Corinna did above.  I rebase it below, and not above. This is not
> good, but works around most issues.

As I said, I hope to get rid of perlrebase altogether (see the
incremental autorebase script) and the issue with having to rebase
libraries for testing in the build tree is not limited to perl modules,
so I think this calls for a more general solution that doesn't rely on
perl being present.

> I'm not sure how to compact holes, other than rebaseall.

The functionality is there in rebase...

Regards,
Achim.