Re: Possible changes to setup.exe interface and name

On 09/20/2012 09:11 AM, Michael Benford wrote:
> I would like to change the setup.exe so that it loads the package
> selection page when it starts.
> And only runs the wizard when a current installation of the current
> version is not detected.

Indeed - having the ability to skip past the 6 'Next' buttons for a
repeated run after cygwin is already installed seems useful; but you
still have to make it possible for the user to rerun the intro screens
rather than hard-coding it to only start at the package selection page
(since the intro screens are necessary for things like choosing a
different mirror).  Probably the easiest approach is to add a new
command line option that can be used to skip the intro screens, and then
users can script things with a batch file or by modifying the Windows
shortcut to the actual setup.exe binary to add the option, although that
will still require some user intervention rather than happening
automatically.

> The file name setup.exe is ambiguous if stored in a folder with other
> application installation files.
> I suggest using the file name cygpac.exe and application name Cygwin
> package manager.

Won't happen.  You are free to download the file and rename it yourself,
but people have come to expect the name of the file that they download
to originally be named setup.exe, and every time this topic has come up
in the past, it has been rejected.

> I am happy to implement both of these changes my self but I need feed
> back and permission from the community.

Go for it - this is open source, so you can make the changes for your
own use even if the community doesn't like them.