Re: HEADSUP: lesstif replaced by motif

On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 12:28 +0000, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> I had look at rebuilding ddd with openmotif.
>
> This shows a rather obvious problem: The initial output to the gdb window
> stops before the 'Ã' in "Dorothea LÃtkehaus" (internally this is ISO-8859-1
> encoded and presumably forms an invalid UTF-8 sequence)
>
> This is listed in the ddd PROBLEMS file with solutions "don't use a UTF-8
> locale" or "link with lesstif" :-)

Don't use a UTF-8 locale, in this day and age?  Use an inferior (and now
obsolete) implementation instead of the far-superior original?  That
kind of "advice" points the finger squarely at ddd as the problem.

> (Even when built with lesstif, there are known character encoding issues e.g.
> source files containing UTF-8 do not display correctly in a UTF-8 locale [1],
> man/info/ddd -h are ISO-8859-1 encoded [2])
>
> I'm not sure how to approach this.  A minimal fix might be to just replace the
> ISO-8859-1 encoded strings with their ASCII equivalents (e.g. Ã -> u), but
> since OpenMotif apparently does now know about UTF-8, a better solution might
> be to actually fix ddd, but I have no idea what would be involved.

I would look at Fedora's and Gentoo's patchsets:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ddd.git/tree/
http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/dev-util/ddd/

I think a combination thereof may fix most of these issues.

Yaakov