Re: HEADSUP: Python 2.7 upgrade

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:18:48 -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 06:56:56PM -0600, Yaakov wrote:
> > Jason Tishler announced last month[1] that he intends to upgrade
> > Python to 2.7 on 01 February, which is quickly approaching.
> >
> > If anybody needs them, my Python-dependent distro packages have been
> > rebuilt and are available in a staging area here:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.cygwinports.org/pub/cygwinports/uploads/
> >
> > In order to assure a prompt and smooth transition to Python 2.7, the
> > following packages will need a rebuild/update:
> >
> > Jari Aalto: bzr, codeville, getmail, mercurial, offlineimap, planet,
> > pylint, python-crypto, python-feedparser, python-logilab-astng,
> > python-logilab-common, python-paramiko, spambayes, stgit, tailor,
> > urlgrabber
> > Marco Atzeri: postgresql
> > Ken Brown: bzr-fastimport, python-fastimport
> > Jan Nieuwenhuizen: lilypond
> > Bo Peng: lyx
> > David Rothenberger: rdiff-backup, subversion
> > Chris Sutcliffe: googlecl, python-gdata
> > Samuel Thibault: brltty, python-pyrex
> > Dr. Volker Zell: lcms, ming
>
> It seems like many, but not all of the above, have been rebuilt for
> Python 2.7.  Should I release as scheduled or give the maintainers
> more time?

Upon further examination, it appears that lilypond need NOT be rebuilt,
so that leaves:

Bo Peng: lyx
Samuel Thibault: brltty (python-brlapi), python-pyrex
Dr. Volker Zell: (python-)lcms, (python-)ming

lyx is just a matter of bytecode recompilation, but the others will be
completely broken by the upgrade until they are rebuilt.  I'm a bit
concerned about python-pyrex as a build-time dep for other packages;
the others show no reverse dependencies in distro nor Ports.

Either way, unless you're pulling the trigger right now, could we wait
at least 48 hours so that I can be online to coordinate the upload?

Yaakov